Mission & Purpose
The mission of the Parks & Recreation Department is to build forward-looking, people-friendly, people-oriented recreation for the community. We are committed to the planning, development, and management of parks, recreational opportunities, community services, community facilities and resources necessary to promote public well being and quality of life for all members of the Town of Edgewood, our neighbors, and our visitors.
- To be liaison between the community and the Town regarding parks and recreational facilities and services, needs and desires.
- Promote public awareness of the public recreational facilities and services provided by the Town and stimulate community participation in those programs.
- Initiate, review, and process all applications for federal, state, and private parks and recreational grants and loans.
- Courteously and equitably administer all programs, providing safe, quality facilities and services.
- Maintain a professional administration through the application of sound management practices.
- Prevent gang violence and activities
- Teach life skills
- Build family unity
- Increase community pride
- Build self esteem
- Educate children, adults, seniors, and special populations
- Strengthen neighborhood involvement
- Provide safe places to recreate
- Promote public health and fitness
- Provide new opportunities for nature experience and exploration
- Promote ethnic and cultural harmony
- Enhance quality of life
- Provide services for latchkey children
- Provide a training ground for community leaders
- Provide recreational alternatives to drugs