Edgewood, NM


Does the Edgewood Animal Welfare Facility adopt out animals?

Yes, we adopt out both cats and dogs at our shelter.

Where do the animals you adopt out come from?

Most animals we bring in are strays. We also intake owner surrenders or assist other shelters on a case-by-case basis.

I live in Edgewood. Do I need to license my cat/dog?

It depends on your actual address. Our facility only services the incorporated portion of Edgewood, which resides solely in Santa Fe County. If you are unsure about which jurisdiction you fall under, please contact our office and we can assist. 505-926-9013

What is the cost of licensing my pet?

You may purchase a 1 or 3 year license depending on the duration of the animal's rabies shot. Fixed animals cost $3.00 for 1 year and $8.00 for 3 years. Intact animals cost $20.00 for 1 year and $54.00 for 3 years. A copy of your pet's CURRENT rabies vaccination must be given in order to purchase a license.

Where can I get my pet a rabies vaccination?

Rabies vaccinations must be administered by a licensed veterinarian, per state law. You can schedule your pet at your usual vet or contact us for information regarding local shot clinics. Please be aware: 5 in 1 shots from feed stores do not include rabies.

What low-cost programs for spay and neuter are available?

The availability of spay/neuter programs can fluctuate, so be sure to contact our office for the most current information. Both the Santa Fe Shelter in Santa Fe and Animal Humane in Albuquerque provide these services at a lower rate. For cats, you can contact the Zimmer Foundation and complete an over-the-phone application, and a voucher for a participating vet will be mailed to you. Friends of the Estancia Valley is a local organization which also helps with spay/neuter costs. Santa Fe Shelter: 505-983-4309 Animal Humane: 505-255-5523 Zimmer Foundation: 505-466-1676 Friends of the Estancia Valley: 505-281-3475

Spay/Neuter Assistance Links...

Does the Mobile Spay/Neuter clinic still come to Edgewood?

Yes, but funding must be obtained for each day the clinic is here. Friends of the Estancia Valley typically organizes at least one on a weekend in the early summer. Town of Edgewood residents receive priority. Please contact us for more information as slots are limited. 505-926-9013

What do I do if the animal I adopted gets sick?

Contact us immediately. If the animal has a preexisting sickness or ailment form our shelter we can, most often, offer financial assistance for treatment and medication. You will also have the option of returning or exchanging the animal with another one of our adoptables.

The animal I adopted isn't working out. Can I bring it back?

Yes, you may certainly bring the animal back to our shelter. If there is another animal which may work better for you, we can most often do an exchange. However, the adoption fee is NON-refundable.

Do you have traps available to check out?

Yes, we have traps for dogs, cats, skunks, and small wildlife. You must be a town resident in order to check out a trap. There is no serve fee for checking out a trap, but we do require a check-out sheet be signed. We will show you how to operate the trap and give you tips for bait beforehand. When you catch the animal, please call us and we'll pick it up. Please be aware to keep the trap CLOSED over holidays and weekends, as we will be closed and not available to pick up the animal. Stray cats and dogs caught in traps are taken to our shelter and impounded, whereas wildlife is re-released in a remote area. Traps are subject to availability and you may be put on a wait list if there is high demand. The normal check out period is 2 weeks. We may also withhold traps if weather conditions are too inclement.